Each month the Georgia Center of Innovation for Logistics publishes a Logistics Market Snapshot with key Logistics and Supply Chain figures and statistics. Included are several Multimodal, Trucking, Rail, Air, and Ocean Freight Indexes, Industrial Vacancy and Rent Rates and general economic indexes. Some selected encouraging statistics:
- Christmas is only 70 Days from now! And if you forget, remind yourself at: www.xmasclock.com
- Retailers are expected to hire around 780,000 seasonal workers this holiday season. Here is what a few notables are planning:
|[click thumbnail to download]|
- Amazon.com, the world’s largest e-commerce company, will hire 70,000 full-time seasonal workers in the U.S. to meet holiday order demand, a 40% increase over last year.
- Wal-Mart, the world’s biggest retailer, is hiring 55,000 seasonal workers and adding another 70,000 part-time and full-time workers.
- Other retailers like Macy’s (+83,000 hires), Target (+70,000 hires), and Kohl’s (+50,000 hires) have also announced plans for adding seasonal workers for the holidays. (Source: shop.org, NRF)
- This year, online holiday sales are projected to rise 15% over last year to as much as $82 billion. Total holiday sales will experience an estimated 3.9% growth to $602.1 billion. (Source: shop.org, NRF)
- Net absorption of warehousing space in the US during Q2 2013 totaled nearly +42 million square feet. Atlanta’s overall absorption during the Q2 was, by far, the highest in the U.S. with more than +4.5 million square feet. (Source: Colliers International)